When I was asked to read and review this collection, I had no idea it was the author’s debut. The stories are just as good as any “seasoned” writer.
“The Silent Ones” follows a man who discovers that he is slowly fading from existence, but he is still conscious. When he finds others like him, he realizes he is in a nightmare from which he will never escape. This story brought to mind The Twilight Zone episode titled “Person or Persons Unknown,” and Bentley Little’s The Ignored. In fact, most of the stories are reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone series in terms of moral dilemmas and situations or discovering the monster within.
A pet shop employee who believes he is able to control the animals he takes care of is angered when he has to take on an assistant in the story, “Dead Pull.” Since the assistant is the son of the store’s best client, Brennan has no choice. But he does have the choice of which tasks to assign the kid, leaving the kid broken and terrified. As a “thank you,” the shop is gifted with a fish that doesn’t bow down to Brennan’s control.
In “The Infected,” an aspiring writer finds his father’s unfinished manuscript after his father’s death. Determined to finish what his father started, he begins to work on it, only to be distracted by the minutiae of life. He realizes his life is following the main character’s life and is horrified when he understands he shares the same fate.
An extremely wealthy man is awakened from a cryogenic state with no idea how he got there or who he is in the titular story, “The Dark at the End of the Tunnel.” As his memory begins to return, he is tormented by gruesome hallucinations and becomes determined to solve his mystery before he goes insane. What he finds is worse than he could ever have imagined.
It’s rare that I enjoy every story in a collection or anthology, but I wasn’t disappointed by any of the stories in this collection. Taylor Grant is an excellent writer, and I look forward to reading more of his work. If his debut is this good, his future works will be amazing.
- John Carpenter’s ‘Halloween’ Coming to 4K Ultra HD on September 25th - August 1, 2018
- Watch the Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ - July 31, 2018
- Dark Horse Books to Publish ‘Brooklyn Blood,’ A Police Procedural from Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton - June 21, 2018
- ‘Last House on the Left’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray July 3rd, 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Brings Back the Kaiju-Packed Chaos of ‘Gamma’ - June 20, 2018
- Mary Robinette Kowal and Lawrence C. Connolly, Wednesday, June 20th at the KGB Bar - June 19, 2018
- ‘Stranger Things’ Comes to Dark Horse - June 18, 2018
- Bram Stoker’s ‘Shadowbuilder’ Coming August 28th from MVD Rewind - June 17, 2018
- Watch the First Trailer for ‘The Nun’ - June 16, 2018
- ‘Breaking In’ Unrated Director’s Cut Coming to Blu-ray and DVD This August from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment - June 15, 2018