Writer-director Megan Freels Johnston’s suburban nightmare The Ice Cream Truck will hit theaters August 18 and be released day-and-date on VOD via Uncork’d Entertainment. A new trailer and poster have been released to coincide with the release.
The provocative psychological thriller stars Deanna Russo (Being Human, Gossip Girl) as Mary, who moves back to her suburban hometown after her husband gets relocated for work. As her family ties up loose ends back home, she moves into their new house alone. And although the move makes Mary nostalgic for her youth, there’s something very sinister about that ice cream truck that patrols her suburb.
The Ice Cream Truck also stars Dana Gaier (Despicable Me 3), John Redlinger (Thirst, Banshee), Emil Johnsen (Isolerad), Hilary Barraford (Go For Sisters), Jeff Daniel Phillips (31), and Lisa Ann Walter (War of the Worlds).
Storytelling is very much in Freels Johnston’s DNA. The granddaughter of legendary crime writer Elmore Leonard, The Ice Cream Truck screenplay was a semi-finalist in the Circus Road Screenplay competition.
As a producer developing material for over a decade, Freels Johnston worked on adaptations of her grandfather’s work and produced Sparks, the directorial debut of Joseph Gordon-Levitt. After completing a project for the USA Network, she decided to follow her passion and write and direct her own material. Her first film, 2014’s micro budget thriller Rebound, developed a cult following on VOD, was called, “Almost David Lynchian in its strangeness” by Film Threat, and Rue Morgue said, the film “(was) worth watching to the end for the unnervingly realistic twist ending.”
The Ice Cream Truck will be released in theaters and on VOD August 18.
Mary’s husband gets relocated for work which allows her to move back to her suburban hometown. As her family ties up loose ends back home, Mary moves into their new house all alone and….waits. Yet in this idealistic world, something seems very odd. The ice cream man, a symbol of youth and good times, starts killing some of her neighbors. Mary soon learns that the suburbs are scarier in more ways than she ever remembered.
- It’s Time to Get 8-Bit with the Latest Pop! Horror! - October 23, 2017
- All Aboard the ‘Party Bus to Hell’! - October 22, 2017
- The First Poster for ‘Grimmwood’ Has Been Released - October 21, 2017
- Elsword Kicks Off Halloween Celebrations with ‘Spooky Graveyard Adventures’ - October 21, 2017
- This Halloween You’ll Want to ‘Keep Watching’ - October 20, 2017
- Blast Ghosts on the Go! ‘Dead End Job’ is Coming to Nintendo Switch - October 18, 2017
- ‘Talon Falls,’ a Popular Halloween Scream Park Turns into a Real-Life Horror - October 17, 2017
- First Trailer for Horror Anthology Film ‘Terror Tales’ - October 16, 2017
- Check Out the First Teaser for ‘Castle Rock!’ - October 15, 2017
- ‘The New Mutants’ is a Comic Film for Horror Fans! - October 14, 2017