Writer-director Megan Freels Johnston’s suburban nightmare The Ice Cream Truck will hit theaters August 18 and be released day-and-date on VOD via Uncork’d Entertainment. A new trailer and poster have been released to coincide with the release.
The provocative psychological thriller stars Deanna Russo (Being Human, Gossip Girl) as Mary, who moves back to her suburban hometown after her husband gets relocated for work. As her family ties up loose ends back home, she moves into their new house alone. And although the move makes Mary nostalgic for her youth, there’s something very sinister about that ice cream truck that patrols her suburb.
The Ice Cream Truck also stars Dana Gaier (Despicable Me 3), John Redlinger (Thirst, Banshee), Emil Johnsen (Isolerad), Hilary Barraford (Go For Sisters), Jeff Daniel Phillips (31), and Lisa Ann Walter (War of the Worlds).
Storytelling is very much in Freels Johnston’s DNA. The granddaughter of legendary crime writer Elmore Leonard, The Ice Cream Truck screenplay was a semi-finalist in the Circus Road Screenplay competition.
As a producer developing material for over a decade, Freels Johnston worked on adaptations of her grandfather’s work and produced Sparks, the directorial debut of Joseph Gordon-Levitt. After completing a project for the USA Network, she decided to follow her passion and write and direct her own material. Her first film, 2014’s micro budget thriller Rebound, developed a cult following on VOD, was called, “Almost David Lynchian in its strangeness” by Film Threat, and Rue Morgue said, the film “(was) worth watching to the end for the unnervingly realistic twist ending.”
The Ice Cream Truck will be released in theaters and on VOD August 18.
Mary’s husband gets relocated for work which allows her to move back to her suburban hometown. As her family ties up loose ends back home, Mary moves into their new house all alone and….waits. Yet in this idealistic world, something seems very odd. The ice cream man, a symbol of youth and good times, starts killing some of her neighbors. Mary soon learns that the suburbs are scarier in more ways than she ever remembered.
- Dark Horse Books to Publish ‘Brooklyn Blood,’ A Police Procedural from Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton - June 21, 2018
- ‘Last House on the Left’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray July 3rd, 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Brings Back the Kaiju-Packed Chaos of ‘Gamma’ - June 20, 2018
- Mary Robinette Kowal and Lawrence C. Connolly, Wednesday, June 20th at the KGB Bar - June 19, 2018
- ‘Stranger Things’ Comes to Dark Horse - June 18, 2018
- Bram Stoker’s ‘Shadowbuilder’ Coming August 28th from MVD Rewind - June 17, 2018
- Watch the First Trailer for ‘The Nun’ - June 16, 2018
- ‘Breaking In’ Unrated Director’s Cut Coming to Blu-ray and DVD This August from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment - June 15, 2018
- ‘Avengers #7’ to Reveal the Origin of the First Ghost Rider - June 14, 2018
- E3 2018: Watch the 8-Minute Trailer for ‘Death Stranding’ - June 12, 2018