Octane Entertainment acquires worldwide sales rights to the highly anticipated, female-driven psychological horror film ST. AGATHA. Shot in Madison, Ga. and currently in post-production, the film was written by Andy Demetrio (Star Trek: Into Darkness), Shaun Fletcher (The Road Trip), Sara Sometti Michaels (The Photographer), and Clint Sears (Tales of Halloween). Under the helm of prolific horror director Darren Lynn Bousman, the director behind three installments of the Saw franchise, ST. AGATHA stars Sabrina Kern (The Tension Experience), Carolyn Hennesy (HBO’s True Blood), Courtney Halverson (Unfriended) Trin Miller (Captain Fantastic) and Seth Michaels (Pelé: Birth of a Legend).
Octane Entertainment President Jack Campbell made the announcement today.
“We’re very excited to introduce Darren’s latest masterpiece to buyers at the American Film Market this week,” said Campbell. “This is exactly the type of project our clients have been looking for – a female-driven, elevated genre film with a pedigree that is well-crafted throughout. We’ve seen huge successes in this arena lately, most recently with Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale. From the writing to the acting to the directing and execution – ST. AGATHA is a cut above anything that I’ve seen in a long time.”
“I have always been attracted to the dark, sinister, and macabre,” said Bousman. “But, as I find myself getting older and now being a dad, blood and guts no longer amuse me. I need something more. I look for content, character, and themes. ST. AGATHA spoke to me as it takes a look at the unflinching horrors that befell women in the 1950s and how that parallels to the not-so-different horrors that are befalling them today. It was amazing to work with such a strong female cast, and I look forward to pulling back the curtain and letting others glimpse into our sinister world.”
ST. AGATHA is set in the 1950s in small town Georgia, where a pregnant con woman named Agatha is on the run and seeks refuge in a convent hidden in deafening isolation. What first starts out as the perfect place to have a child turns into a dark layer where silence is forced, ghastly secrets are masked, and every bit of willpower Agatha has is tested. She soon learns the sick and twisted truth of the convent and the odd people who lurk inside its halls. Agatha must now find a way to discover the unyielding strength needed to escape and save her baby before she’s caged behind these walls forever.
ST. AGATHA was produced by Sara Sometti Michaels, Srdjan Stakic (The Operative) and Tara Ansley (Tragedy Girls) and was executive produced by Kevin Traier, Rick Le, and Seth Michaels.
“Making this film was amazing,” said Michaels. “The intensity of the film will keep the audiences holding onto their seats until the end. Under the direction of Darren Lynn Bousman, we had strong female actors who embodied not only their characters, but also the era in which the movie took place, the atmosphere as well as the eeriness of the story. To see the film from the inception of the script through the process of finding an investor, to preproduction, to principal photography and finally to the finished product was an amazing experience. I am very proud to be a part of this project.”
Campbell and Seth Michaels along with Ramo Law negotiated the deal on behalf of the producers. Campbell also serves as the sales agent for the film at AFM.
- John Carpenter’s ‘Halloween’ Coming to 4K Ultra HD on September 25th - August 1, 2018
- Watch the Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ - July 31, 2018
- Dark Horse Books to Publish ‘Brooklyn Blood,’ A Police Procedural from Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton - June 21, 2018
- ‘Last House on the Left’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray July 3rd, 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Brings Back the Kaiju-Packed Chaos of ‘Gamma’ - June 20, 2018
- Mary Robinette Kowal and Lawrence C. Connolly, Wednesday, June 20th at the KGB Bar - June 19, 2018
- ‘Stranger Things’ Comes to Dark Horse - June 18, 2018
- Bram Stoker’s ‘Shadowbuilder’ Coming August 28th from MVD Rewind - June 17, 2018
- Watch the First Trailer for ‘The Nun’ - June 16, 2018
- ‘Breaking In’ Unrated Director’s Cut Coming to Blu-ray and DVD This August from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment - June 15, 2018