In the year 956 AD an unlikely group of Viking warriors in northern Europe face an even more unlikely adversary in the form of… Aliens! The debut graphic novel from Australian author Josh Vann and Italian illustrator Simone D’Armini, The Spider King introduces a vicious and violent world of survival to an extra terrestrial threat unlike any mankind has faced before.
Originally self-published in 2016 and funded with Kickstarter, The Spider King will make its serialized debut this February as IDW will release the international hit to a whole new audience. Garnering early praise upon its release, The Spider King was nominated for Best Graphic Novel at the 2016 Aurealis Awards and went on to win Bronze at the 2016 Ledgers, which acknowledges excellence in Australian comic art and publishing.
“More than just a clash of genres, The Spider King is a classic Viking saga about loyalty, family, honour, and revenge,” said Vann. “At the root of this story is Hrolf, the reluctant king of the Laxdales, who is on a quest to avenge his father and kill his Uncle Aarek. But Hrolf’s plans are complicated when Aarek is possessed by a bloodthirsty alien parasite, hell-bent on destruction.”
Joining Vann and D’Armini are colorist Adrian Bloch and letterer Nic J. Shaw.
“If you’re a fan of titles like HEAD LOPPER, HELLBOY, and the work of Becky Cloonan, THE SPIDER KING absolutely needs to be in your pull list,” says editor Sarah Gaydos. “Way too much fun and awesome art in one book!”
Launching in February, the four-issue series will feature an impressive array of variant covers including Skottie Young, Afu Chan, and Jakub Rebelka. The Spider King is available for pre-order now through your local comic shop.
- John Carpenter’s ‘Halloween’ Coming to 4K Ultra HD on September 25th - August 1, 2018
- Watch the Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ - July 31, 2018
- Dark Horse Books to Publish ‘Brooklyn Blood,’ A Police Procedural from Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton - June 21, 2018
- ‘Last House on the Left’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray July 3rd, 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Brings Back the Kaiju-Packed Chaos of ‘Gamma’ - June 20, 2018
- Mary Robinette Kowal and Lawrence C. Connolly, Wednesday, June 20th at the KGB Bar - June 19, 2018
- ‘Stranger Things’ Comes to Dark Horse - June 18, 2018
- Bram Stoker’s ‘Shadowbuilder’ Coming August 28th from MVD Rewind - June 17, 2018
- Watch the First Trailer for ‘The Nun’ - June 16, 2018
- ‘Breaking In’ Unrated Director’s Cut Coming to Blu-ray and DVD This August from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment - June 15, 2018