Responding to a Tweet from screenwriter Sarah Daly, the legendary director praised the film’s trailer, saying it was “Very good. Great images… and great visual storytelling and evocation of Soavi and Bava.”
The Black Gloves is the latest offering from director/writer team Lawrie Brewster and Sarah Daly of Scotland’s indie horror house Hex Media. Inspired by classic chillers such as Hitchcock’s Rebecca and Jack Clayton’s The Innocents, The Black Gloves tells the story of a psychologist obsessed with the disappearance of his young patient, and the menacing owl-headed figure that plagued her nightmares. His investigations lead him to a reclusive ballerina who, just like his patient, is convinced that she is about to die at the hands of this disturbing entity.
According to Director/Producer Lawrie Brewster, “We’re honoured and thrilled by Guillermo Del Toro’s kind words about our film. I’ve loved his work ever since The Devil’s Backbone, so it’s extremely exciting to have one of your idols take notice of what you’re doing. The world of independent films is really tough, from getting a project off the ground to getting it seen, so an endorsement like this from a legendary figure in the genre is a huge boost. And obviously, to be compared to Mario Bava is pretty flattering too!”
The Black Gloves stars Spanish horror icon Macarena Gomez (Dagon, Shrew’s Nest) and genre legend Nicholas Vince (Hellraiser, Nightbreed) as well as Hex Media stalwart Jamie Scott-Gordon (The Unkindness of Ravens, Lord of Tears) and actress/dancer/choreographer Alexandra Nicole Hulme (Girls, Smash, Lord of Tears).
The film was shot over three weeks in a remote mansion in the Scottish Highlands last October, now Lawrie has turned to Kickstarter seeking funds to complete the film’s post-production. The campaign has, so far, been a huge success, with more than 600 backers from around the world pledging over £50,000 to help bring The Black Gloves to life. The campaign has, so far, been a huge success, with more than 600 backers from around the world pledging over £50,000 to help bring The Black Gloves to life.
A co-production between Hex Media, Dark Dunes Productions, 3rd Monkey Productions, and Needle’s Eye Productions, in association with Lights Out Productions, the project has also attracted producers from around the world, including Executive Producers Sultan Saeed Al Darmaki, Scott Anderson, Eileen Reeder, Richard Pate, and Charles W. Stiefel, and Co-Producers Zeke Hanson, Morten Wisting, Kyle Curry and Rhiannon Crothers.
With an expected release date of Autumn 2017, the funds raised will go towards the film’s soundtrack, visual effects, mix, and marketing, ensuring that this ambitious indie has the best chance of being seen by the widest audience possible.
There’s still time to get involved at The Black Gloves Kickstarter page here.
- Nothing Says 4K Like an Updated Release of ‘Schlock!’ - March 20, 2018
- This Casting News is ‘Heartless’ - March 19, 2018
- AMC and Fathom Events Are Bringing ‘The Walking Dead’ and ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ to the Big Screen! - March 18, 2018
- It’s Time to Experience The ‘Wildling’ - March 17, 2018
- Scream Factory Wants You to Watch ‘Cyborg’ - March 16, 2018
- Bone Yard (1991) Out on DVD and Blu-ray April 24th - March 14, 2018
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space Out on Blu-ray April 24th! - March 12, 2018
- The US Will Be Getting a Visit from ‘Mandy’ - March 9, 2018
- Salem Fest 2018 Has Tapped Ryan Turek as Their Keynote Speaker! - March 8, 2018
- The ‘Full Moon High’ Special Edition is Getting New Audio Commentary! - March 8, 2018