Responding to a Tweet from screenwriter Sarah Daly, the legendary director praised the film’s trailer, saying it was “Very good. Great images… and great visual storytelling and evocation of Soavi and Bava.”
The Black Gloves is the latest offering from director/writer team Lawrie Brewster and Sarah Daly of Scotland’s indie horror house Hex Media. Inspired by classic chillers such as Hitchcock’s Rebecca and Jack Clayton’s The Innocents, The Black Gloves tells the story of a psychologist obsessed with the disappearance of his young patient, and the menacing owl-headed figure that plagued her nightmares. His investigations lead him to a reclusive ballerina who, just like his patient, is convinced that she is about to die at the hands of this disturbing entity.
According to Director/Producer Lawrie Brewster, “We’re honoured and thrilled by Guillermo Del Toro’s kind words about our film. I’ve loved his work ever since The Devil’s Backbone, so it’s extremely exciting to have one of your idols take notice of what you’re doing. The world of independent films is really tough, from getting a project off the ground to getting it seen, so an endorsement like this from a legendary figure in the genre is a huge boost. And obviously, to be compared to Mario Bava is pretty flattering too!”
The Black Gloves stars Spanish horror icon Macarena Gomez (Dagon, Shrew’s Nest) and genre legend Nicholas Vince (Hellraiser, Nightbreed) as well as Hex Media stalwart Jamie Scott-Gordon (The Unkindness of Ravens, Lord of Tears) and actress/dancer/choreographer Alexandra Nicole Hulme (Girls, Smash, Lord of Tears).
The film was shot over three weeks in a remote mansion in the Scottish Highlands last October, now Lawrie has turned to Kickstarter seeking funds to complete the film’s post-production. The campaign has, so far, been a huge success, with more than 600 backers from around the world pledging over £50,000 to help bring The Black Gloves to life. The campaign has, so far, been a huge success, with more than 600 backers from around the world pledging over £50,000 to help bring The Black Gloves to life.
A co-production between Hex Media, Dark Dunes Productions, 3rd Monkey Productions, and Needle’s Eye Productions, in association with Lights Out Productions, the project has also attracted producers from around the world, including Executive Producers Sultan Saeed Al Darmaki, Scott Anderson, Eileen Reeder, Richard Pate, and Charles W. Stiefel, and Co-Producers Zeke Hanson, Morten Wisting, Kyle Curry and Rhiannon Crothers.
With an expected release date of Autumn 2017, the funds raised will go towards the film’s soundtrack, visual effects, mix, and marketing, ensuring that this ambitious indie has the best chance of being seen by the widest audience possible.
There’s still time to get involved at The Black Gloves Kickstarter page here.
- ‘The 13th Friday’ Premieres on Digital this October! - September 20, 2017
- Are You Ready to ‘Die Laughing?’ - September 19, 2017
- Dark Horse Books Announces the ‘Hellboy’ Omnibus Collection - September 18, 2017
- ‘Stone Cold Dead’ Out on DVD and Blu-ray October 3rd, 2017 - September 18, 2017
- You’d ‘Better Watch Out’ for This New Red Band Trailer! - September 17, 2017
- ‘Rawhead Rex’ Out on Blu-ray and DVD October 17th, 2017 - September 16, 2017
- Check Out the Official Trailer for ‘Tragedy Girls’ - September 15, 2017
- The ‘Itsy Bitsy’ Trailer Isn’t For Anyone Afraid of Spiders! - September 14, 2017
- ‘The Exorcist’ meets ‘Stranger Things’ in ‘Watch Over Us,’ Premiering on VOD this September - September 13, 2017
- Check Out the ‘Blood Dynasty’ Trailer! - September 13, 2017