Donnie Darko [Limited Edition Steelbook] (Blu-ray) (12/12)
I WANT YOU TO WATCH THE MOVIE SCREEN.
THERE’S SOMETHING I WANT TO SHOW YOU.
Fifteen years before Stranger Things combined science-fiction, Spielberg-ian touches, and 80s nostalgia to much acclaim, Richard Kelly set the template – and the high-water mark – with his debut feature, Donnie Darko. Initially beset with distribution problems, it would slowly find its audience and emerge as arguably the first cult classic of the new millennium. Donnie is a troubled high school student: in therapy, prone to sleepwalking, and in possession of an imaginary friend, a six-foot rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world is going to end in 28 days 06 hours 42 minutes and 12 seconds. During that time he will navigate teenage life, narrowly avoid death in the form of a falling jet engine, follow Frank’s maladjusted instructions, and try to maintain the space-time continuum.
Described by its director as “The Catcher in the Rye as told by Philip K. Dick,” Donnie Darko combines an eye-catching, eclectic cast – pre-stardom Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, heartthrob Patrick Swayze, former child star Drew Barrymore, Oscar nominees Mary McDonnell and Katherine Ross, and television favourite Noah Wyle – and an evocative soundtrack of 80s classics by Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, and Duran Duran. This brand-new 4K restoration, carried out exclusively for this release by Arrow Films, allows a modern classic to finally receive the home video treatment it deserves.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- Brand-new 4K restoration from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster.
- Original 5.1 audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
- Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena
- Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross, and James Duval
- Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new feature-length ‘making of’ documentary
- The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
- Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
- 20-page collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by critic and author Nathan Rabin
- Nothing Says 4K Like an Updated Release of ‘Schlock!’ - March 20, 2018
- This Casting News is ‘Heartless’ - March 19, 2018
- AMC and Fathom Events Are Bringing ‘The Walking Dead’ and ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ to the Big Screen! - March 18, 2018
- It’s Time to Experience The ‘Wildling’ - March 17, 2018
- Scream Factory Wants You to Watch ‘Cyborg’ - March 16, 2018
- Bone Yard (1991) Out on DVD and Blu-ray April 24th - March 14, 2018
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space Out on Blu-ray April 24th! - March 12, 2018
- The US Will Be Getting a Visit from ‘Mandy’ - March 9, 2018
- Salem Fest 2018 Has Tapped Ryan Turek as Their Keynote Speaker! - March 8, 2018
- The ‘Full Moon High’ Special Edition is Getting New Audio Commentary! - March 8, 2018