This July, Dark Horse Books will publish Brooklyn Blood by New York Times bestselling writer Paul Levitz and Eisner nominated artist Tim Hamilton collected in book form for the first time. Together Levitz, who was born and raised in Brooklyn, and Hamilton, whose art has appeared in the New Yorker and the New York Times, deliver a uniquely urban police procedural with supernatural overtones that is grounded in the city’s dark history, including the Malbone Street subway disaster, the Park Slope plane crash, and the burning of General Slocum.
In Brooklyn Blood, a serial killer is on the loose—and when strange clues lead down a paranormal path, a detective confronts his inner demons to solve the case. After returning from a tour in Afghanistan, detective Billy O’Connor returns home to a Brooklyn he doesn’t recognize. As he tries to resume his normal routines, his PTSD is easily triggered and he suffers severe hallucinations. Once he begins to work a gruesome homicide case, however, O’Connor has difficulty sorting out what’s real—and after he uncovers some strange clues, he’ll have to face the unthinkable to bring the killer to justice.
Originally published and serialized in sixteen chapters in Dark Horse Presents, Brooklyn Blood marks the first collaboration for Levitz and Hamilton. It is also Levitz’s first story in four decades to be published by a company other than DC Comics; it was 40 years ago when he collaborated with Spider-man co-creator Steve Ditko for a short story published in independent comic book publisher Mike Friedrich’s series Imagine. Levitz, who is among the 16 names on the shortlist for the Eisner Award Hall Of Fame, is primarily known for his work for DC Comics: as the author of more than 400 stories; as the company’s youngest editor ever, and as its former President & Publisher.
The trade paperback of Brooklyn Blood, featuring the complete story, as well historical notes by Levitz and never before seen sketches and layouts by Hamilton, will be published by Dark Horse Books in comic stores on July 18th and in bookstores on July 31, 2018.
Praise for Brooklyn Blood:
“Brooklyn Blood proves that there’s nothing as potent, as damaging, or as hauntingly ruthless as an old memory. Come learn from a master. Paul Levitz beautifully tackles blood in the past from the very forefront of the present.”—Brad Meltzer, bestselling author of Identity Crisis and The Escape Artist
“Tim Hamilton’s artwork makes me want to throw away my nibs and brushes in a jealous rage but he’s actually more inspiring than anything, so it works out. He’s a killer cartoonist who transcends mere craft; look at Brooklyn Blood, you’ll know it’s a fact.”—Michel Fiffe, creator of the critically acclaimed Copra and Zegas
“Levitz absolutely slays in this gripping and disturbing Lovecraftian noir. A masterclass in suspense from one of comic’s finest.”—Junot Diaz, bestselling author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and This Is How You Lose Her
“One of my favorite artists, Tim Hamilton, and the legendary Paul Levitz bring you a tale of shifting sands, lines of light, Brooklyn, Afghanistan, past, present and beyond. You don’t want to miss the haunting, visceral, and beautifully visualized world that is Brooklyn Blood.”—Johnnie Christmas, bestselling artist of Angel Catbird
- From SDCC 2019: Watch the Trailer for New CREEPSHOW Series - July 19, 2019
- Evil Moves in Next Door in the Teaser Trailer & Poster for THE WRETCHED - July 18, 2019
- Hex Studios Unleashes A Legion of Demons In ‘For We Are Many’ - July 18, 2019
- THE WITCHES (1990) Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive - July 17, 2019
- THE VELOCIPASTOR Stomps into San Diego Comic Con! - July 17, 2019
- WICKED WITCHES – Coming to Theaters, DVD and Digital this August! - July 16, 2019
- From SDCC: Check Out the Poster for Shudder’s Upcoming CREEPSHOW Series - July 16, 2019
- Fright-Rags Celebrates 20 Years of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT with New Apparel Collection - July 15, 2019
- ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES Coming to Blu-ray on October 1st - July 12, 2019
- Watch the Trailer for Marvel’s ABSOLUTE CARNAGE #1, Coming to Comic Shops on August 7th - July 11, 2019