Have you ever really listened to the lyrics sung in lullabies?
Although it’s proven that lullabies help babies to get to sleep, the words sung within these traditional songs are often more unsettling than soothing. We’ve looked into lullabies from around the world and found that creepy lyrics are a common theme – despite originating from a time before global communication.
Examples of creepy lullaby creatures include:
• The baby snatching Highland Fairy from Scotland
• The Haitian crab that will eat any child left awake at night
• An Indonesian Giant in search of crying children at night
• The shapeshifter prepared to haunt anyone left awake in Trinidad and Tobago
As we all know, persuading babies to sleep isn’t always an easy job, and any parent will tell you of their desperation to soothe a restless baby. Whilst the lullaby has stood the test of time as a way of relaxing at bed time, why are we singing such scary lyrics?
Mattress Online’s interactive map reveals the creepiest creatures from lullabies around the world. You can take a look and listen here: https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/quiz/creepy-lullabies/
- Nothing Says 4K Like an Updated Release of ‘Schlock!’ - March 20, 2018
- This Casting News is ‘Heartless’ - March 19, 2018
- AMC and Fathom Events Are Bringing ‘The Walking Dead’ and ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ to the Big Screen! - March 18, 2018
- It’s Time to Experience The ‘Wildling’ - March 17, 2018
- Scream Factory Wants You to Watch ‘Cyborg’ - March 16, 2018
- Bone Yard (1991) Out on DVD and Blu-ray April 24th - March 14, 2018
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space Out on Blu-ray April 24th! - March 12, 2018
- The US Will Be Getting a Visit from ‘Mandy’ - March 9, 2018
- Salem Fest 2018 Has Tapped Ryan Turek as Their Keynote Speaker! - March 8, 2018
- The ‘Full Moon High’ Special Edition is Getting New Audio Commentary! - March 8, 2018