Based on the popular short film with the same name, Child Eater is the directorial debut of Erlingur Thoroddsen and is a creepy, stylish roller-coaster ride inspired by the classic horror films of the 1980s.The deal was negotiated by Eric D. Wilkinson for MVD Entertainment Group and Raphael Margules and J.D. Lifshitz for Boulderlight Pictures on behalf of the filmmakers.
In Child Eater, little Lucas (Colin Critchley) goes missing from his bedroom in the middle of the night; his babysitter Helen (Cait Bliss) ventures out into the deep, dark woods armed only with a flashlight. But these are no ordinary woods. They were once the home of Robert Bowery (Jason Martin), a serial killer who years ago came for children’s eyes in order to keep himself from going blind. But Robert Bowery was stopped and killed… or was he?
Originally conceived as an award-nominated short at SXSW back in 2012, producer Perri Nemiroff shares her excitement in turning it into a full length feature film and it’s 1980s horror inspiration: “Having grown up in the 80s, we’re undeniably influenced by classic slashers like Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers, and also the tone of their respective films, particularly their ability to deliver powerful scares, but exhilarating and enjoyable ones, too. Child Eater is bigger, badder, and scarier, and really gave us the chance to subvert genre tropes and truly show horror fans things they’ve never seen before.”
Following its World Premiere at the Brooklyn Horror Film Festival that boasted sold out screenings (a second late night screening was added which was sold out as well) in addition to winning four awards at the Fantastically Horrifying Cinema Festival (including Best Film, Best Cinematography, and Best Actress), MVD Entertainment Group picked up the film for North American distribution. MVD’s Director of Acquisitions, Eric D. Wilkinson, expressed his excitement about the film: “Like the filmmakers, I too grew up on 80s horror and immediately fell in love with this movie. Robert Bowery is every bit as scary as Freddy Kruger and in some ways, even more so. After fans watch this film I’m willing to bet they will be sleeping with their closet lights on!”
MVD Entertainment Group has scheduled Child Eater for release on March 28th via VOD, Digital, and DVD.
© 2017 MVD Entertainment Group
Directed by: Erlingur Thoroddsen
Written By: Erlingur Thoroddsen
Produced by: Perri Nemiroff and Luke Spears
Executive Producer: Petur Sigurdsson
Running Time: 82 minutes
- Scream Factory Wants to Teach ‘Of Unknown Origins’ - February 17, 2018
- ‘City of the Dead’ (1960) Available on DVD and Blu-ray March 13th - February 16, 2018
- Loved ‘Ash Vs Evil Dead’ Season 2? You’ll Love These New Figures! - February 16, 2018
- Cassandra Khaw and Peternelle van Arsdale Wednesday, February 21st at the KGB Bar - February 15, 2018
- ‘Twilight People’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray and DVD March 13th - February 14, 2018
- This April Take Home ‘Deep Blue Sea 2!’ - February 14, 2018
- This May You Can Visit ‘The House That Dripped Blood!’ - February 13, 2018
- ‘Diviner’ by Dawn G. Harris Available in March from Telos Publishing - February 12, 2018
- ‘House of the Edge of the Park’ and ‘Last House on Massacre Street’ Double-Feature Blu-Ray Out March 6th - February 11, 2018
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ is Swimming Home on March 13th! - February 10, 2018