THE CHILD REMAINS, a supernatural thriller about an expectant couple who spend a weekend at a haunted country inn that was once a macabre maternity home, has been selected to screen this month in international competition at Fantasporto ‘18 in Portugal, one of the most important genre events in Europe, and named one of the ‘25 Leading Film Festivals in The World’ by Variety.
The film will also screen this month at the Famous Monsters of Filmland Silver Scream Film Festival in California on Feb 16, as well as the Philip K. Dick Science Fiction Film Festival in New York City on Feb 24.
Winner of 7 Best Feature awards at horror fests around the globe, including Best International Film at the Spooky Empire Horror Film Festival in Orlando, THE CHILD REMAINS is unveiling this month its final cut which features new scares and is trimmed for theatrical release.
Written, directed and co-produced by Halifax-based Michael Melski (Charlie Zone), THE CHILD REMAINS is inspired by the true tale of the ‘Butterbox Babies’ and their horrific chapter in Canadian folklore. The film had its US premiere at Fear Fete in Mississippi last October where it was an awards nominee, and its European premiere in international competition at the Ravenna Nightmare Film Festival in Italy.
With 15 awards from 23 nominations at 20 official selections since its world premiere at the Shanghai International Film Festival,THE CHILD REMAINS also stars acclaimed Canadian film-television star Allan Hawco (Frontier), Shelley Thompson (Labyrinth) as well as Geza Kovacs (Scanners).
Melski describes THE CHILD REMAINS as “The Shining meets Rosemary’s Baby in The Orphanage,” and is excited for the upcoming screenings. “Especially Fantasporto, where we screen on Feb 26. We’ve been hoping to get into this festival since post-production.” Fantasporto ’18 runs Feb 20-March 4 in Oporto, Portugal.
Produced by Craig Cameron (The Corridor) with Executive Producers David Miller of A71 Productions (He Never Died) and Marc Savoie, the film was made with assistance from Nova Scotia’s Production Incentive Fund, and Telefilm Canada.
THE CHILD REMAINS is aiming for theatrical release later this year.
- John Carpenter’s ‘Halloween’ Coming to 4K Ultra HD on September 25th - August 1, 2018
- Watch the Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’ - July 31, 2018
- Dark Horse Books to Publish ‘Brooklyn Blood,’ A Police Procedural from Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton - June 21, 2018
- ‘Last House on the Left’ (1972) Available on Blu-ray July 3rd, 2018 - June 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Brings Back the Kaiju-Packed Chaos of ‘Gamma’ - June 20, 2018
- Mary Robinette Kowal and Lawrence C. Connolly, Wednesday, June 20th at the KGB Bar - June 19, 2018
- ‘Stranger Things’ Comes to Dark Horse - June 18, 2018
- Bram Stoker’s ‘Shadowbuilder’ Coming August 28th from MVD Rewind - June 17, 2018
- Watch the First Trailer for ‘The Nun’ - June 16, 2018
- ‘Breaking In’ Unrated Director’s Cut Coming to Blu-ray and DVD This August from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment - June 15, 2018