The 1963 cult-classic horror film Blood Feast, from director Herschell Gordon Lewis, attracted and shocked audiences worldwide before enjoying a lucrative second life as a home video hit that ultimately sold more than 1.5 million units. Now, more than 50 years since the original creation, the official, long-awaited remake will hit theaters across the United States and Canada this summer.
Hannover House and Crimson Forest Entertainment Group have entered into a distribution agreement with producer Emsch Schneider for a June 23rd nationwide theatrical release of Blood Feast, representing a substantial expansion of the film’s previously planned, limited opening. The release will carry the branding of both Hannover House and Crimson Forest and will reach all of the top 40 largest markets, ranging from single-screen exclusive engagements to mini-multiple runs.
“The enthusiasm for this official remake has been staggering,” said Eric Parkinson, C.E.O. of Hannover House. “We’re getting swamped with calls and emails from horror media and fans across the country asking us to make sure that we open at a local theater, or that they have a large fan group ready to organize an event screening. It didn’t take long for us to recognize that the large following from the original film’s home video release has generated an enthusiastic fan base to see the official remake. Expanding our theatrical plans into a national release during mid-summer shows our confidence in the film’s commercial appeal,” he concluded.
The official remake was directed by acclaimed German director Marcel Walz and features an impressive cast – including an appearance by the 90-year-old Herschell Gordon Lewis, filmed shortly before his death late last year. Other cast members include Robert Rusler (A Nightmare on Elm Street 2), Caroline Williams (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), and Sophie Monk (The Hills Run Red).
An October home video release is anticipated, with a subscription video-on-demand window available for December.
“The fan base is large and quite vocal,” Parkinson continued. “We hope to channel this energy into surprising box office results and establish some positive momentum before hitting the home video and VOD markets in the fall.“
Fuad Ramses (Rusler) and his family have moved from the United States to France, where they run an American diner. Since business is not going too well, Fuad also works night shifts in a museum of ancient Egyptian culture. During these long, lonely nights he is repeatedly drawn to a statue representing the seductive ancient goddess Ishtar (Katz). He becomes more and more allured by the goddess as she speaks to him in visions. Eventually he succumbs to her deadly charms.
After this pivotal night, Fuad begins a new life, in which murder and cannibalism become his daily bread. He starts to prepare a ritual feast to honor his new mistress, a lavish affair dripping with blood, organs, and intestines of human victims. As butchered bodies are heaped upon the Altar of Ishtar, Fuad slowly slips further into madness until he is no more than the goddess’ puppet; and she thirsts for the blood of Fuad’s wife and daughter too…
- Bill Hodges Returns in the Trailer for MR. MERCEDES Season 3 - August 21, 2019
- Release Details and Cover Art for Tom Savini’s Official Biography SAVINI - August 7, 2019
- IDW Publishing Announces Comic Book Series Based on Stephen King and Owen King’s SLEEPING BEAUTIES - July 29, 2019
- From Raw Dog Screaming Press: Preorder STEEL SHADOWS by J.L. Gribble - July 26, 2019
- Available Now from Crystal Lake Publishing: A new Poetry Collection by Stoker Award-Winners Linda D. Addison and Alessandro Manzetti - July 24, 2019
- From Raw Dog Screaming Press: Preorder On the Night Border by James Chambers - July 22, 2019
- From SDCC 2019: Watch the Trailer for New CREEPSHOW Series - July 19, 2019
- Evil Moves in Next Door in the Teaser Trailer & Poster for THE WRETCHED - July 18, 2019
- Hex Studios Unleashes A Legion of Demons In ‘For We Are Many’ - July 18, 2019
- THE WITCHES (1990) Coming to Blu-ray from Warner Archive - July 17, 2019