Lightbringers: The Age of Myths and Legends
May 29, 2017
Reviewed by Elaine Pascale
Epic in scope, fantastical in theme, Lightbringers tells the story of divine twins, Deykin and Dawn, who must rescue the world from the evil that is unleashed by the Great Old One. There are many little stories interwoven with the main plot. And in these little stories there are familiar references for readers of fantasy and dark fantasy. There is much to this recipe: Biblical allusions, mythology, cryptozoology, fables, and love triangles. For readers who enjoy finding “Easter Eggs,” Lightbringers is full of them.
The setting takes place in a world that is very different from our own, and twenty thousand years in the future, but Price masterfully handles the description so that the environment is crystal clear. This is a world that seems mostly ancient (because technology has been replaced by magic) but also contains contemporary elements. For example, the very enchanting Xander wears a tuxedo on his date, and characters often use contemporary phrases when speaking. There are more characters than I can count, yet they are fleshed out and distinctive. The relationship between our hero, Deykin, and his friends completely charmed me.
There is a great deal of action, and what I would classify as “sword play.” The fight scenes are exceptionally well-written and each differs enough from the prior that it does not become repetitive or boring.
Despite being a fantasy, there are horror elements in the form of Lovecraftian monsters and infections and curses. I wanted more of the Solstice Cat, mainly because I am a sucker for any cat character.
This is an ambitious work and possibly could have been spread out into two books or even a trilogy. It is obvious that Price has put a lot of time and energy into this book, and the payoff is a very creative offering.
Lightbringers would be appropriate for teens as well as adults. If you are a fan of Lovecraft or Tolkien, this would be a great pick for you!
- Pieces – Book Review - August 5, 2019
- Abduction of Two Rulers – Book Review - June 21, 2018
- Sacrifice of the Hybrid Princess – Book Review - November 3, 2017
- Walt Disney World for Vampires, Zombies, and Others with Very Special Needs – Book Review - August 31, 2017
- Lightbringers: The Age of Myths and Legends – Book Review - August 17, 2017
- Revenge of the Vampir King – Book Review - February 16, 2017
- Wicked Witches: An Anthology by the New England Horror Writers – Book Review - December 14, 2016
- Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories – Book Review - July 19, 2016
- ‘Tales from the Lake, Vol. 2’ – Book Review - June 16, 2016
- With a Voice that is Often Still Confused But is Becoming Ever Louder and Clearer – Book Review - April 11, 2016